The light observer magazine
In No. 5 of “The light observer magazine,” which features the relationship with light through
multiple viewpoints of visual artists, there is an interview about the project “Umi hotaru” by artist
Cecilia Del Gatto. Eleonora Paciullo and Hugo Berger were able to tell, through their questions, the long and complicated sequence of studies and findings that made possible the realization of the photographic project.
– Photo series by acclaimed photographer Awoiska van der Molen. In her photographs, devoid of title or indication of location, in the silver-salt prints the notions of time – day and night – seem nonexistent.
– Interview with experimental game designer Tracy Fullerton , about her game The Night Journey developed with artist Bill Viola.
– Interview with artist and photographer Cecilia Del Gatto about her project Umi Hotaru, experimenting with bioluminescent light and photography.
– Artist Marie Sommer’s project , shooting at night around a nuclear power plant built on the Basque coast.
– Interview with acclaimed artist Henni Alftan about her process, figurative art and especially her exhibition entitled Night Time at Sprüth Magers.
– Photo series by Japanese photographer Tokio Matsubara and his Okinoshima series , on the sky, sea and islands.
– Interview with up-and-coming director Dorian Jespers about his first film Sun Dog : a journey into the frozen night of the Russian tundra.
– Rome by Led , video project in which the malfunctions of the lighting public lighting in the city of Rome, by artist José Angelino .
– The journey of Augustin Fresnel , narrated by writer Jeanette Farrell . His theories have left their mark on the history of science. He is particularly famous for the Fresnel, which was used in lighthouses, saving many lives at sea.
– The photographic series of Kohei Yoshiyuki , his famous series The Park , and the reflections of Benedetta Casagrande , reflecting on the culture of voyeurs, revenge and the role of the spectator.
– Alfonso de la Torre’s essay on artist Javier Pérez’s Caminos series , works of art in pastel and charcoal depicting paths in the forest.
– Interview with philosopher Alain Badiou . What do you think about the night? Together, we discussed how philosophers have approached this topic and what it says about our societies.
– Interview with lighting company ewo and artistic duo beierle.goerlich about their collaboration and public lighting, design and innovation.
– Interview with researcher Jean Lilensten , who specializes in solar activity and its impact on the planets of the solar system.
– Series of paintings by German artist Anna Maria Schönrock . Her artistic research reflects on abstraction and figuration and how the two are intertwined. Her series for us is entitled Nocturnal.
– Series by aspiring artist Agata Haxhiaj . For this issue of the night, we asked this 4-year-old girl to draw some images on this topic in a way that was very free and spontaneous way.
– Photo series by Alice Fiorilli for 4spaces – ‘Light can be a curtain as well as darkness’.